Monday, October 29, 2012

Memories and Some Randomness...




Where the hell is time going?!

No, that is not a rhetorical question. I am genuinely asking, where the hell is time going?! And what the hell is happening to this world?! Like seriously?!?

In Meredith Grey’s scripted words, “We’re adults! When did that happen?? And how do we make it stop?!”

And just by the way, three people, yes you read right, THREE people in the last few weeks have told me Meredith reminds them of me. I don’t know whether it’s a compliment or whether I should be deeply troubled. Like really. But knowing me, I’ll take it as a compliment. Even if it is just the dark and twisties. But, I’m really not dark and twisty anymore (I buried that Shreya in some deep dark dungeon quite a few years ago), so it has to be the pretty, ambitious, and fun-loving Meredith right? Right???

Oh, I went off the topic. But take it as a warning, that might happen rather often today.

Yes, coming back to time and things changing. A few days ago, I found myself walking down the lanes of North Campus with an old friend, after ages. Lanes we had traversed a gazillion times during our three years there. Now, I’m madly, like madly in love with North Campus. I think I had some of the most amazing times of my life there. Just the thought of all those old buildings, the winter mist, the cheap food, the independence, the shady Chinese restaurants…

Except... wait. What the hell happened to those shady Chinese restaurants?! Remember the Soho’s, Noodles, Momo Point, Bon Zai’s in that tiny dirty naali wala lane behind bungalow road?? Remember the awesome shake’s at Keventer’s?? Like…WHERE????

That particular walk was depressing, to say the least. We ended up eating at Bercos (which from our student days we remembered as this AWESOME Chinese restaurant, where we could eat once in a while, if we were feeling very very rich). What we got was the slowest service on the planet, crappy food, repair work drowning out our voices, and music (the playlist was still from our school days…Bailamos…no, not kidding) turned up even louder in the hope to drown out the repair work.

Oh. Well.

In other news, there have also been times when the clock doesn’t seem to move. And getting through a day is an achievement in itself. But this blog no longer pays attention to that. Ok? Ok.

In the last few months I’ve met a lot of old friends, and made some new ones. There have been fun times and boring ones. And most importantly, a LOT of people have been making me get off my lazy and depressed butt and get out and actually have fun.

And, at this point of time, I would like to declare to the world, I am in LOVE with Vir Das. Really. Seriously. No jokes.

Oh, what an oxymoron.

And now that I’m back in Delhi, I’m finally beginning to see the actual city. For I have spent my whole life, well, at home, or north campus, or, well, at home. And there’s so much to see! I think I know more of Mumbai than I do of Delhi, so it’s like getting to explore an all new city. Just that this time around it’s not as a broke kid…and that helps.

And I never realized how much I missed Punjabis! I realized it once, after almost a year in Mumbai, when I was spent and disgruntled, I saw a sardar uncle once, and felt some weird amount of happiness rush through me. It seemed like such a rare sight, and made me homesick. Then of course, I realized I must look plain stupid grinning at him, so I walked off.

When I talked about moving back to Delhi, I was scared. So was everyone else. I have a pepper spray in my bag (Except I’m scared that when needed, I might spray myself by mistake!), and a constant painful vigil in my head. Except for one simple realization.

I missed my Delhi friends. I missed Delhi. It’s like coming home. Except, that’s exactly what it is.

I’m home.

P.S. I know, this post had absolutely no point or direction. But sometimes, neither does life. And you know what? It’s ok.


6 comments:

  1. Dude I'm dying to see Vir Das' "A history of India!"

    Still no sardars sighted here :(

    Might want to practice with the pepper spray (not on someone, but still) coz very honestly, now that u mention it, I can picture you spraying yourself by mistake :P

    Your post reminded me of that song "I'm coming home" except in present tense.

    Ciao
    Ruchi (can't be bothered to sign in)




    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude I'm dying to see Vir Das' "A history of India!"

    Still no sardars sighted here :(

    Might want to practice with the pepper spray (not on someone, but still) coz very honestly, now that u mention it, I can picture you spraying yourself by mistake :P

    Your post reminded me of that song "I'm coming home" except in present tense.

    Ciao
    Ruchi (can't be bothered to sign in)




    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hoping that my experience is a deja-vu of what you have written here - I'm going home for a longish break very soon and am expecting to be pleasently surprised by the changes and the newness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meredith Grey. The similarities. Ours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. well they say home sweet home for a reason ..

    hmmm sardars not in mumbai how cum,


    and well the best way to be safe is to be cautious , thats it , use common sense.. If you know something is wrong, many a time it will be wrong .. first instincts are seldom wrong.. and More than pepper spray Make sure you know where you are.. When you know where you are , you know which way to run if things go wrong ..

    Take care .. sorry for the lecture

    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha... I thought I was the only weird one who got happy seeing a sardarji in Bangalore after months.

    ReplyDelete

Do let me know what you think!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...